Periodontal Maintenance in rockford, dixon and janesville
Periodontal diseases occur in the periodontal ligament, gums, and alveolar bone. Periodontal disease only affects the gums in the early stages (gingivitis) but as it progresses, begins to affect all structures surrounding the teeth. Everyone is at risk of developing periodontal disease, but patients who have certain preexisting health conditions (diabetes) or who meet any of the following criteria are at an increased risk:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Diet that is high in starch and sugars
- Tobacco users (especially smoking)
- Genetic predisposition (children of parents with periodontal disease are significantly more likely to also develop periodontal disease)
- Certain medications (blood pressure medication and certain steroids)
- Frequently experience high levels of stress.
If you have developed periodontal disease or are at an increased risk of doing so, you may benefit from scheduling regular periodontal maintenance. Regular periodontal maintenance may be scheduled every three months or with greater frequency, depending upon the severity of your case and overall susceptibility for developing periodontal disease.
With over 40,00 dental surgeries performed and over 12,000 dental implants placed, you can be confident that you will receive high quality care from established professionals that is designed to meet your unique needs. To schedule an appointment for periodontal maintenance, or if you have any additional questions concerning the procedure or clinic policies, contact our Rockford office at 815.261.1739, our Dixon office at 815.261.1739, or our Janesville office at 608.208.1576.
Benefits of Periodontal Maintenance
Scheduling regular periodontal maintenance is extremely easy, minimally invasive, and has many significant benefits, including the following:
- Removes tartar: When plaque builds up above and below the gum line, it will eventually harden and turn into tartar. At this stage, tartar cannot be removed through traditional brushing and flossing. A professional teeth cleaning will remove this tartar using specialized dental equipment, which will decrease your risk of developing periodontal disease and give your gums time to heal.
- Improves aesthetics of your smile: If left untreated, periodontal disease can negatively impact the aesthetic appearance of your smile due to yellowing of teeth, gum recession, and in serious cases, the loss of teeth. Scheduling regular teeth cleanings is an effective method for avoiding these issues.
- Freshens breath: Untreated periodontal disease can cause patients to develop chronic halitosis (bad breath) that persists even after brushing and flossing your teeth. Scheduling an appointment for teeth cleaning is one of the most effective methods for addressing this issue.
- Identify underlying health issues: Part of the periodontal maintenance process involves identifying underlying issues causing periodontal disease. This thorough examination includes an oral cancer screening and evaluation for signs of medical problems, such as kidney issues or diabetes.
What to Expect During Periodontal Maintenance
Although periodontal maintenance will be slightly different for every patient, most exams will involve an in-depth review of your dental and medical health history and a thorough examination of your bite, along with any indications of loose teeth, bone loss, TMJ, oral cancer screening, and other signs of periodontal disease. We will also discuss any recent health history changes, measure the depths of your gum pockets, perform diagnostic exams (if necessary), and provide you with a teeth cleaning, or if periodontal disease is present, a scaling and root planing procedure.
Once this is complete, we will discuss any necessary treatment options that should be considered and/or schedule a follow-up appointment for your next periodontal maintenance review. This appointment may be scheduled six months out or sooner if necessary.
Aftercare Following Periodontal Maintenance
While it will not be necessary to follow special aftercare instructions following periodontal maintenance (provided underlying issues are not identified), it is important to continue practicing good oral hygiene habits to maximize the benefits of your periodontal maintenance and enjoy good oral health. Continue brushing and flossing your teeth twice daily and be mindful of your diet, avoiding foods or beverages that are starchy or sugary. It is equally important to continue scheduling regular periodontal maintenance every three months, or with greater frequency for patients who are at an increased risk of developing periodontal disease. We typically alternate these cleanings between our office and your family dentist.
To learn more about clinic policies or schedule an appointment for periodontal maintenance, contact our Rockford office at 815.261.1739, our Dixon office at 815.261.1739, or our Janesville office at 608.208.1576.
Cost of Periodontal Maintenance
The cost of periodontal maintenance will depend on several factors, such as the severity of your case, additional procedures that need to be performed, and your dental insurance plan. At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing you with high-quality, comprehensive periodontal services, which is why we provide you with flexible payment options to ensure that you receive the care you require.
If you are covered under a dental insurance plan, we do ask that you bring your insurance cards and any necessary forms with you to your appointment. We are happy to provide a pre-estimate of dental benefits prior to treatment, and will submit any receipts, forms, or other information required by your insurance company. Once insurance payment has been received, the remaining balance will be mailed to you.
Please note: our office does offer a 5% reduction in fee for full payment at the time services are provided (contingent on treatment type). We also offer extended payment plans through GreenSky Patient Solutions or Care Credit. For your convenience, we accept cash, personal check, Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express.