Teeth Cleaning in rockford, dixon and janesville
Teeth cleaning (also known as dental prophylaxis) is a common and effective procedure that involves a thorough cleaning of a patient’s teeth to halt the progression of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can develop when plaque begins to build up and harden into calculus. The bacteria within this calculus can cause significant irritation and inflammation. When the body senses this irritation and inflammation, it begins to destroy bone and gum tissue, which over time will cause gums to significantly recede and teeth to weaken and eventually fall out. In addition to the loss of teeth, advanced periodontal disease can also result in jawbone deterioration and an increased risk of systemic infection and inflammation, which may put patients at an increased risk of other health issues, such as diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, and stroke.
Fortunately, scheduling an appointment for professional teeth cleaning is extremely easy, minimally invasive, and has many significant benefits, including the following:
- Removes tartar: When plaque builds up above and below the gum line, it will eventually harden and turn into tartar. At this stage, tartar cannot be removed through traditional brushing and flossing at home. A professional teeth cleaning will remove this tartar using specialized dental equipment.
- Improves aesthetics of your smile: If left untreated, periodontal disease can negatively impact the aesthetic appearance of your smile due to yellowing of teeth, gum recession, and in serious cases, the loss of teeth. Scheduling regular teeth cleanings is an effective method for avoiding these issues.
- Freshens breath: Untreated periodontal disease can cause patients to develop chronic halitosis (bad breath) that persists even after brushing and flossing your teeth. Scheduling an appointment for teeth cleaning is one of the most effective methods for addressing this issue.
- Identify underlying health issues: Part of the teeth cleaning process involves identifying and the underlying issue. This thorough examination includes an oral cancer screening and evaluation for signs of medical problems, such as kidney issues or diabetes.
What to Expect During the Teeth Cleaning Process
Prior to teeth cleaning, we will conduct an in-depth review of your dental and medical health history and a thorough examination of your bite, along with any indications of loose teeth, bone loss, TMJ, oral cancer screening, and other signs of periodontal disease. We will also discuss any recent health history changes, measure the depths of your gum pockets, perform diagnostic exams (if necessary), and schedule a follow-up appointment for additional periodontal maintenance, or for periodontal treatment to correct an underlying issue, if necessary.
Next, the teeth cleaning will begin, which typically involves the following stages:
- Supragingival cleaning: A thorough cleaning of the area above the gum line that will remove bacteria and calculus.
- Subgingival cleaning: Removal of calculus that has formed beneath the gum line and in your gum pockets.
- Root planing: Smoothing out (or “planing) the surface of the tooth root makes it difficult for bacteria to collect.
- Medication: If a scaling and root planing procedure is performed, pain medication and/or antibiotics may be provided if necessary.
If there is reason to believe underlying issues are present, it may be necessary to perform an X-Ray examination to identify any areas that may require attention and/or evaluate the extent of gum recession or bone loss. Once this is complete, we will discuss any necessary treatment options that should be considered and/or schedule a follow-up appointment for your next teeth cleaning. This appointment may be scheduled six months out or sooner for patients who suffer from or at an increased risk of developing periodontitis.
Cost of Teeth Cleaning
The cost of teeth cleaning will depend on several factors, such as whether dental sedation is used, whether additional procedures are performed, and your dental insurance plan. At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing you with high-quality, comprehensive periodontal services, which is why we provide you with flexible payment options to ensure that you receive the care you require.
If you are covered under a dental insurance plan, we do ask that you bring your insurance cards and any necessary forms with you to your appointment. We are happy to provide a pre-estimate of dental benefits prior to treatment, and will submit any receipts, forms, or other information required by your insurance company. Once insurance payment has been received, the remaining balance will be mailed to you.
Please note: our office does offer a 5% reduction in fee for full payment at the time services are provided (contingent on treatment type). We also offer extended payment plans through GreenSky Patient Solutions or Care Credit. For your convenience, we accept cash, personal check, Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express.
Periodontal Care You Can Trust at featherstone
At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing high-quality care and supporting your efforts to enjoy good periodontal health by identifying and correcting periodontal issues early, and implementing correct and consistent oral health self-care. Although we offer a range of surgical treatment options for periodontal disease and its associated health and cosmetic impacts, our primary focus is to provide conservative treatment, avoiding surgery whenever possible.
To learn more about clinic policies or schedule an appointment for teeth cleaning, contact our Rockford office at 815.261.1739, our Dixon office at 815.261.1739, or our Janesville office at 608.208.1576.