Piezosurgery in rockford, dixon and janesville
At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing our clients with high quality care delivered using the latest advancements in dental technology to ensure you have the best results possible. Piezosurgery is a minimally invasive surgical technique that uses piezoelectric vibrations to cut targeted bone or tissue, while preserving and causing little to no damage to surrounding tissue. Unlike traditional methods of cutting bone or tissue, which often result in some loss of bone and tissue and bleeding to occur, piezosurgery allows for a blood-free procedure, which in turn provides your periodontists with greater visibility, allowing for a more precise procedure. As a result, patients also enjoy a faster healing process following the procedure.
Piezosurgery can be used as part of a variety of treatment methods, the most common of which are:
- Tooth extractions (wisdom teeth removal)
- Implant site preparation
- Sinus lift (lateral and crestal)
- Implant removal/cleaning
- Resective periodontal surgery
- Cyst removal
- Crown lengthening
- Accelerated orthodontics
- Ridge expansion
- Bone harvesting
Advantages of Piezosurgery
At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing treatments that are as minimally invasive as possible. Piezosurgery is one of the newest emerging types of dental technology that reduces the invasiveness of certain dental procedures and improves overall precision and success rates of procedures. There are several unique advantages associated with piezosurgery technology, including the following:
- Surgical Precision: Unlike traditional methods, which involve limited control and mechanical vibrations, piezosurgery utilizes microvibrations, which allows for maximum tactile sensation and intra-operative control, which allows your periodontist to perform more precise and efficient surgical procedures.
- Safety: Piezosurgery improves your periodontist’s ability to preserve soft tissues while cutting bone efficiently by providing better control while working in proximity to delicate structures, mucosa, and nerves.
- Reduced Trauma and Faster Healing: Unlike traditional methods, piezosurgery results in a significantly accelerated healing response that is characterized by reduced inflammation, faster bone formation, and increased levels of bone morphogenetic proteins. Iatrogenic trauma is also reduced thanks to reduction in intra-operative bleeding, which reduces discomfort during and after the procedure. Constant irrigation is also an effective method for reducing thermal damage, which in turn reduces a patient’s risk of bone necrosis.
- Efficiency: Because piezosurgery preserves soft tissues and facilitates the osseointegration process (integration of the bone with a dental implant), patients will enjoy a faster post-operative healing process. In addition to reducing your recovery time, piezosurgery also reduces the time required to perform procedures. Unlike traditional methods, piezosurgery reduces hand pressure and provides your periodontist with a better sense of feel and control. This increased operator sensitivity allows for improved precision. Piezosurgery also has the added surgical benefit of reduced noise and improved visibility.
Piezosurgery and Dental implants
One of the most effective applications of piezosurgery is as part of the dental implant and/or sinus lift procedures. Unlike traditional methods, which require the use of mechanical instruments, piezosurgery significantly improves the precision and success rate of bone grafting, implant-site preparation, sinus-floor elevation, and other oral and maxillofacial surgical procedures by allowing for more selective and precise cuttings. This in turn reduces mechanical and thermal damage to the bone, while also preserving surrounding soft tissues.
Although overheating can have a negative impact on the osseointegration process (the process of the bone fusing with the implant), piezosurgery technology allows for temperature settings to be modified to reduce this risk. Using piezosurgery technology in conjunction with a tooth extraction improves our ability to extract your tooth while preserving the integrity of your socket, and avoid causing damage to arteries, nerves, or gum tissue. Similarly, during a sinus lift procedure, you can be assured that your sinus membrane will remain intact and healthy.
Cost of Piezosurgery
Piezosurgery is a treatment option that is offered to patients as a benefit and/or as requested or recommended, but will result in additional costs. The cost of piezosurgery will depend on several factors, such as whether dental sedation is used, what procedures are performed, and your dental insurance plan. At Featherstone Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing you with high-quality, comprehensive periodontal services, which is why we provide you with flexible payment options to ensure that you receive the care you require.
If you are covered under a dental insurance plan, we do ask that you bring your insurance cards and any necessary forms with you to your appointment. We are happy to provide a pre-estimate of dental benefits prior to treatment, and will submit any receipts, forms, or other information required by your insurance company. Once insurance payment has been received, the remaining balance will be mailed to you.
Please note: our office does offer a 5% reduction in fee for full payment at the time services are provided (contingent on treatment type). We also offer extended payment plans through GreenSky Patient Solutions or Care Credit. For your convenience, we accept cash, personal check, Visa, Discover, MasterCard or American Express.